Project Report – 1st August, 2016

Work in the past month has been distributed over symbolic and pytave side.

The work that was merged to symbolic in this time was mostly to convert objects from python to octave types. PR #474 and #491 worked in this regard.  PR #490 helped to make the tests compatible with Pytave IPC. Then we also added Pytave IPC to the build system (travis) with the PR #489.
Also, we worked to improve the passing of variables to python by using pytave. PR #465 has mostly achieved the goal. But it is failing on travis. The cause was finally detected in PR #502 to be the passing of struct to pytave. I couldn’t get much time to work on this as I was working on pytave. And hopefully when pytave matures then this error will be resolved in pytave itself.

In pytave, there were some bug fixes which caused octave to segfault. In the PR #12, the issue was addressed when an octave value could not be converted to python which threw an exception and crashed octave. In the PR #15, the issue where the exception text from Python could not be properly extracted was handled. This was later improved with the PR #30 for the cases of crash with Python 3. In PR #29, the issue was handled when a large number (integer) was being converted from python to octave then boost threw positive_overflow exception.

Also, there were some feature improvements too. PR #13, added the feature that checks for a function called via pycall into main namespace and builtins namespace too for existence. After pyobject was merged into pytave, most of the work was related to pyobject. PR #17 completed the functionality of returning pyobject from py* functions by adding the same mechanism to pycall which was implemented in pyeval. PR #16 added the feature to check length of a pyobject. PR #25 dropped the existing conversion mechanism which converted python list, tuples and dicts to octave matrices and structs. Now they return a pyobject instead.

There are a few PRs currently under review. PR #33 removes some of the unused code from pycall and adds a few BIST tests which showcase changes due to PR #25. PR #32 fixes some doctests which are also affected by the changes in the same PR. PR #31 aims at adapting all the methods of pyobject to the changes which dropped the conversion of lists, dicts and tuples. In PR #24, we are trying to add a new feature to allow users to specify the namespace in which pyexec/pyeval would run their code. Hence allowing isolation of different codes to have the same names/functions by running in different namespaces. Currently it is buggy and doesn’t actually work as expected. The symbols in a local namespace are also accessible from the global namespace. Moreover any 2 local namespace are sharing the same symbols. Currently it just works in the case where 1 global and 1 local namespaces are required. In such case, they are having separate symbol tables (dictionary actually as it is python).

During this time we had one setback. We tried a lot to build pytave on windows but failed. It has been stopped currently but we will resume it after GSoC ends. Tatsuro helped a lot in this. Thanks to him we have gotten really close to successfully building pytave on windows. The complete details about what was tried and which errors occurred can be found on my wiki page where I described Building Pytave on windows.

The project has been going smoothly because of a great participation from the mentors and octave community. Hopefully we will be able to have a working release of symbolic with pytave IPC (atleast for linux) before the end of GSoC.

Advertisements

Author: genuinelucifer

I love coding, working on open source projects specially. Even making my own games, softwares... Learning new technologies has always been my cup of tea. :)

1 thought on “Project Report – 1st August, 2016”

  1. Thanks for the update. Pytave is turning out really well: I like how we can do so much in object-oriented m-files with some thin interface code (mostly `pycall`, `pyeval`). That should really lower the barrier if others want to join in. Once pytave stabilizes a bit, it should be easy enough to merge your various PRs to symbolic too.

    I don’t really think of the Windows stuff as a setback: we need this stuff to work on Windows and someone had to try it… And presumably with your documentation, we’re that much closer.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s